Supplementary Property Insurance URA 2015
Terms and Conditions of Insurance, 01/07/2015
1 Scope and deductibles
1.1 When and where does the insurance policy apply?
The insurance applies during the period stated in the insurance confirmation. It applies throughout the world during the policy term.
1.2 Who does the insurance cover?
This insurance applies to persons who are covered by URA group or URA individual and where the authority has taken out Supplementary Property Insurance as an addendum.
No deductibles apply to this insurance.
2 Insurance cover
Damage to, or loss of, personal effects accompanying the insured or acquired by the insured during the trip, will be compensated with an amount not exceeding the amount that has been agreed between the authority and Kammarkollegiet and that is stated in the insurance confirmation. This amount applies as a total for the employee and accompanying family members, as far as such exist. Loss of cash and documents of value is compensated with an amount not exceeding SEK 5,000. Jewellery and watches are compensated with an amount not exceeding SEK 10,000 per item.
The compensation may be adjusted if the insured has been negligent. The same applies if the insured has not reported the loss or attempted to mitigate the loss.
The insurance reimburses necessary and reasonable additional costs that are a direct consequence of compensable damage up to SEK 5,000. Examples of such costs are:
- telephone calls to block debit cards/banker’s cards/credit cards
- travel costs in order to make a police report or obtain a new passport
- new keys/lock for the insured's private residence or private vehicle.
The insurance does not apply to the following:
- Damage to, or loss of, cash, travel documents, articles made in whole or in part of precious metals, real pearls and precious stones, antiques, works of art, cameras, mobile phones, tablet computers, computers or other electronic equipment with accessories, alcoholic beverages or other delicate or valuable property liable to be stolen, if such property has been left for transportation, registration or other form of storage.
- Functional failures that occur, unrelated to any external damaging event. Damage or functional failure caused by climate or environmental impact (e.g. dampness, impact of sand, rust or dirt).
- Damage through wear and tear, superficial damage such as dents or scratches, which has no substantial impact on functionality.
- Damage or loss that can be compensated through other insurance, transportation companies, hotels, or similar.
- damage to sports equipment while in use.
- Damage to, or loss of, a motor-driven vehicle, boat, aircraft, mobile home or trailer, goods in transit, or injury to or loss of an animal.
- Purchases, withdrawals or exploitation with the use of a stolen, cloned or lost debit card, credit card, SIM card, or similar.
- Apps or media files for computers, mobile phones, tablet computers, or similar.
Delicate articles and valuable property liable to be stolen should be carried as hand luggage. The traveller should be aware that thefts from checked-in, locked suitcases are not unusual.
Kammarkollegiet will assume title to lost property which Kammarkollegiet has replaced. If an article that has been replaced is found, the insured should immediately notify Kammarkollegiet thereof.
The insured must produce evidence that the matter has been reported, as follows:
Thefts are to be immediately reported to the local police authority. Thefts from a hotel must also be reported to the hotel. Damage to, or loss of, transported property shall be reported to the transportation company. In the first instance, any liability, undertakings, or offers on the part of the hotel or transportation company are to be called upon and claimed.
The insured person must exercise normal caution, i.e. must handle and keep the property safely and otherwise do what can reasonably be expected to avoid theft or other damage/loss. For example, to leave money in a hotel room or to leave property attractive to thieves in a car is usually regarded as negligence. In cases of negligence, the compensation is usually reduced by half, unless circumstances indicate that the negligence was minor or of minor significance in the insurance matter. If the negligence has been particularly gross in nature, the right to compensation may be withheld completely. If the insured person has forgotten, lost or mislaid property an adjustment will be made, which is normally 50 per cent.
In the event of damage to property, the proven cost of repair will be reimbursed with an amount not to exceed the property’s market value prior to the damage. In the event of damage or loss, reimbursement will only be made if the insured person can prove ownership and damage or loss of the item.
In the event of damage or loss that is not repairable, the market value of the property prior to the loss will be reimbursed. If an actual market value cannot be established, the value is calculated at replacement cost, less deductions for age and use. Deductions for age and use are 10 per cent per year, from the start of the second year after purchase, up to a maximum of 70 per cent. For clothes, shoes and boots, deductions for age and use are 20 per cent per year, from the start of the first year after purchase, up to a maximum of 70 per cent.
For consumable items such as cosmetics, perfume and hygiene articles, and for underwear, reimbursement is made for maximum 50 per cent of the prices as new.
3 Notification of damage/loss
A notification of damage/loss should be signed by both the insured person and authority. In addition, the party requesting compensation shall:
- in the event of theft or assault, enclose proof, issued by the local police in the location where the loss occurred, that a report has been lodged,
- in the event of injury, theft, or loss that has occurred during transportation or in a hotel, enclose proof, issued by the transportation company or the hotel, that a report has been lodged,
- submit detailed requests for compensation and enclose receipts or other vouchers,
- if the same damage/loss is covered by other insurance, inform Kammarkollegiet thereof, and
- at the request of Kammarkollegiet, provide information and submit medical certificates and other documents that Kammarkollegiet requires to adjust the claim, and also co-operate so that the damaged property can be inspected.
If the insured person neglects undertakings in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Supplementary Property Insurance, reimbursement may be reduced or withheld in full.
4 General terms and conditions
4.1 Other insurance
This insurance compensates damage/loss or costs only to the extent that they cannot be compensated under other insurance, Ordinance or Act.
4.2 Limitations period
The right to compensation will cease three years after the date of the damage/loss if no claim has been received by Kammarkollegiet prior to such date. The date of damage/loss is the day on which the event occurred, on which the insurance event is based.
To the extent Kammarkollegiet has paid compensation in respect of an insurance event, Kammarkollegiet is to be subrogated the injury.