Insurance for students who pay tuition fees (FAS and FASplus)
Do you pay a tuition fee for your educational programme at a university in Sweden? If so, then your education provider can order a FAS or FAS Plus insurance. You can report an injury and submit a claim here.
The insurance is provided at no cost to you and provides cover 24 hours a day.
Terms and Conditions of Insurance
The Terms and Conditions of Insurance state exactly what applies and what you can apply for compensation for.
These Terms and Conditions of Insurance are applicable as of 01/07/2021:
These Terms and Conditions of Insurance are applicable until 30/06/2021:
Submit a claim
- Download and fill out the form.
FAS and FAS Plus Claim form Pdf, 206.5 kB.
The University will also need to fill out and sign the form. Keep in mind that if you seek compensation for expenses that you have incurred, you will need to submit the receipts.
- Send in the form by e-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org or via post:
SE-651 80 Karlstad
What do I need to do to obtain the insurance?
As a student, you cannot order the insurance by yourself. Contact your university and they can order the insurance for you.
Who does the insurance cover?
The insurance applies to you who are a student at a Swedish university and pay tuition fees for the education. The insurance provides cover even if you have received a scholarship that covers your tuition fees.
The insurance is valid even if you have received a scholarship that covers the fee.
Where and when is the insurance coverage apply?
The insurance coverage applies:
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in Sweden.
- during the journey between your home country and Sweden, during the entire period of studies and two weeks before the start of the studies and two weeks after the conclusion of the studies
- during the summer school break, if you continue to study at the University after the summer break.
What does the insurance cover?
The insurance covers:
- emergency medical and dental care and repatriation/emergency evacuation to ones home country if necessary.
- The insurance includes personal liability cover if someone demands compensation for damages from you. For example,
it may be a landlord who demands compensation for damages for an injury that has occurred in your accommodations during the term of the insurance. Then we can assist you with legal support and reimburse you for the compensation for damages you have been obligated to pay.
- The insurance includes a legal assistance coverage if it is you who are claiming compensation for damages from someone else.
The insurance does not cover:
- Regular medical check-ups nor medications for illness/conditions that have arisen prior to the travel.
FAS Plus also includes:
- Personal property cover which means you can apply for compensation if your belongings are accidentally damaged
or stolen. The deductible is always SEK 1,500.
In the Terms and Conditions of Insurance you will see exactly what you can apply for compensation for.
When do I need an insurance certificate?
When you apply for a visa or a Swedish residence permit, you may need an insurance certificate. In this case, you can approach your contact at your Swedish university.
For those who are ordering insurance for tuition fee-paying students
Those who are an authorised administrator at a university or other state authority can order an FAS or FAS Plus insurance. You can order the insurance as a group insurance and it will cover all foreign fee-paying students with you. FAS Plus contains personal property cover, otherwise the insurance cover is the same.