Payment commitments - travel guarantees
Payment commitments must be worded exactly according to our template in order to be approved. There are two different templates; one for payment commitments with indefinite validity and another for payment commitments that are valid for a limited term.
The issuer of the guarantee must attach their registration certificate to the payment commitment, along with any power of attorney for those who signed the payment commitment. We can only approve securities that are signed by authorised signatories.
Travellers may apply for compensation up to three months after it becomes clear that the trip cannot be carried out. When replacing payment commitments, therefore, the new payment commitment should contain an assumption clause. Through this clause, the new payment commitment assumes the responsibilities of the previous one. The previous payment commitment can therefore be returned when it is replaced. If the new payment commitment does not contain an assumption clause, we will keep the old one for three months. The templates show the wording the assumption clause must use.
The issuer of the guarantee is always entitled to cancel payment commitments. Cancellation must be made in writing.
If cancellation is done in connection with the travel operator ceasing its activities that are subject to guarantees, the cancellation can be sent to us no earlier than one month before the last travellers return home.
Payment commitments normally remain with us at the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency for three months after travel operations cease, because travellers are able to apply for compensation during that time. Time-limited commitments can be returned after one month unless we have been informed that the travel operation has been cancelled or stopped.
If travellers require compensation, they must apply in writing to the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency. The Agency determines whether compensation should be paid and thereafter requests such payment from the issuer of the guarantee.
The issuer of the guarantee must pay compensation to the person designated by the Agency. Payment must be made when requested by the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency.
You can choose to arrange your travel guarantee by depositing funds with Kammarkollegiet. Fill in the 'Travel Operator Registration' and 'Budget' forms.. We will decide if you are obliged to arrange a travel guarantee and what the guarantee must cover. In order to deposit funds with us, you must accept our terms and conditions. Please read the terms and conditions that follow the instructions below.
- Make a payment to Kammarkollegiet’s Bankgiro 301-5393. Add the information “Travel guarantee for [organisation’s name], [organisation number] and [diary number].
- Send a proof of payment to email@example.com, read more below.
- If you are making an international payment to deposit funds with us, use the following codes:
IBAN: SE15 8000 0890 1169 4024 1760
Terms for deposited funds
The following terms apply when depositing funds with the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency for travel guarantees.
- The guarantee amount must be deposited in Swedish Kronor (SEK).
- The money will then be put in an interest-bearing account with the Swedish National Debt Office in accordance with the Deposit Money in Escrow Act (1927:56).
- We calculate the interest starting from the day the first deposit is recorded in the account. When we refund all or part of the amount deposited, we regulate negative or positive interest based on the total amount. Negative and positive interest will be reported semi-annually or annually. Where applicable, we will provide information to the Swedish Tax Agency.
- You must send in proof of your payment stating which account the payment has been made to and from as well as the deposited amount. See below for more information.
- If your travel business becomes insolvent, we are entitled to immediately use your funds in accordance with Sections 6 and 7 of the Travel Guarantee Act (2018:1218) to pay compensation to your travellers
- We will keep the deposited funds for at least three months after they are no longer valid as travellers may apply for compensation up to three months a trip has been cancelled. If you have deposited funds instead of a written payment commitment, the funds may be used as compensation for trips that have been cancelled three months before the money was deposited. Time-limited travel guarantees will be paid back one month after they have ceased to apply.
By depositing funds with us, you agree to these terms.
Proof of payment
When you have deposited funds to Kammarkollegiet’s account you must send in proof of your payment in order for us to approve the funds as a travel guarantee. The proof must be in a non-edited format, e.g. a screenshot.
The proof of payment must include:
- Date of payment
- Paid amount
- Who has paid and from what account
- To what account the payment has been made
- That the payment has been made. The proof of payment must be a copy of completed payment transactions. It is not enough that the payment is scheduled for transaction.
If you have deposited funds from your Internet bank you will receive a receipt when the transaction has been made. That receipt will often show the information needed.
Please contact your bank in advance to make sure that they can provide you with a proof of payment.