Insurance for foreign visitors

As an invited foreign visitor to a state authority in Sweden, you can be insured during your visit to Sweden. You can submit a claim for compensation here and see what you can obtain compensation for.

Terms and Conditions of Insurance

The Terms and Conditions of Insurance state exactly what applies and what you can apply for compensation for.

These Terms and Conditions of Insurance are applicable as of 01/07/2021:

These Terms and Conditions of Insurance are applicable until 30/06/2021:

Submit a claim

  1. Download and fill out the form.
    Foreign visitors Claim form Pdf, 182.4 kB.
    The state authority will also need to fill out and sign the form. Keep in mind that if you seek compensation for expenses that you have incurred, you will need to submit the receipts.
  2. Send in the filled in and signed form by e-mail: or via post:
    SE-651 80 Karlstad

Where and when is the insurance coverage apply?

The insurance coverage applies:

  • Continually during the stay in Sweden.
  • During the trip between their home country and Sweden, provided that the invited foreign guest travels in a direct route.
  • Throughout the Schengen area, provided that you have a valid Schengen visa, issued by a Swedish embassy or consulate. If you have a residence permit, the insurance only provides coverage in Sweden.

What does the insurance cover?

The insurance covers:

  • emergency medical and dental care and repatriation/emergency evacuation to ones home country if necessary.
  • The insurance includes personal liability cover if someone demands compensation for damages from you. For example, it may be a landlord who demands compensation for damages for an injury that has occurred in your accommodations during the term of the insurance. Then we can assist you with legal support and reimburse you for the compensation for damages you have been obligated to pay.
  • The insurance includes a legal assistance coverage if it is you who are claiming compensation for damages from someone else.
  • As long as you are in Sweden, your insurance also covers your personal property. This means that you can apply for compensation if your belongings are accidentally damaged/broken or stolen.
  • In the event of property damage, the deductible is always SEK 1,500.

The insurance does not cover:

  • Regular medical check-ups nor medications for illness/conditions that have arisen prior to the travel.

In the Terms and Conditions of Insurance you will see exactly what you can apply for compensation for.

When do I need an insurance certificate?

You may need an insurance certificate applying for a visa. In this case, you can approach your contact at your Swedish state authority or university.

For those who are going to receive invited foreign visitors

If you are the authorised administrator at a state authority, you can order insurance that applies to foreign visitors throughout their visit.

The insurance can be ordered for individuals or as a group insurance for a category of persons.

For example, you can order a group insurance policy for all invited foreign visitors to a conference or course, or any visiting researcher or guest lecturer during an academic term. You can also insure the guests accompanying family members.

Special insurance for foreign visitors invited by SIDA

Are you going to arrange an International Training Programme (ITP) course on behalf of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA)? For the participants to be covered by the SIDA insurance you need to register the participants with us.

Send the list of participants (name, date of birth and country of residence) to and refer to the SIDA Agreement. Remember to specify which dates the course refers to, where the course will take place and state the name and code of the course.

Hjälpte informationen på denna sida dig?
Page last updated: 2024-03-08