Labour market policy programmes

Personal injury cover during labour market programmes applies to persons who participate in labour market policy programmes. Described here are the bases for compensation that may be awarded by Kammarkollegiet.

Regulations etc.

The personal injury cover corresponds to the occupational injury insurance and accident cover. Cover is governed under Ordinance (1998:1785) on compensation in case of injury to participants in certain labour market programmes etc.

Compensation is payable under the provisions of the collective agreement entitled "Agreement on compensation for personal injury," PSA.

Who can receive compensation?

Compensation may be paid out to participants in:

  • A labour market programme with development benefit, development allowance or introduction benefit.
  • An obligatory field trip or survey discussions regarding the applicant's professional skills.
  • The job guarantee for young people under the age of 18, or the job and development programme, without receiving development benefit or development allowance.


Upon starting a business enterprise, you are no longer covered by the insurance.

What does the insurance cover?

The insurance covers accidents during relevant activities. The insurance also covers travel to or from relevant activities. An occupational illness requires Försäkringskassan to recognize the complaint as an industrial injury.

What types of compensation are available?

Compensation may be paid for:

  • Loss of earnings
  • Expenses
  • Pain and suffering
  • Persistent symptoms, i.e. disfigurement and loss of amenity

Loss of earnings

Compensation may be paid to anyone who is ill for more than 14 days. To obtain compensation, the applicant must have a qualifying income registered with Försäkringskassan.

Note that compensation will not be paid for travel accidents.

This compensation is taxable.


Compensation may be paid for physician and health care expenses and for damaged clothes, spectacles, hearing aids, prostheses and similar

These compensations are tax-free.

Compensation for pain and suffering

This can be seen as a compensation to some extent for personal suffering and discomfort during the healing period.

This compensation is tax-free.

Persistent discomfort

Compensation for disfigurement and loss of amenity will be paid in the case of medical disability that entails persistent symptoms such as pain or the loss of movement. Scars or cosmetic defects may lead to compensation. A lump sum will be paid for the loss of a tooth. At the earliest, assessment will take place one year after the injury.

This compensation is tax-free.

Examples of when compensation may be paid

Annika, 28 years old, is participating in a labour market policy programme in the form of trial employment at an engineering workshop. When cleaning up metal turnings, she cuts herself on a piece of swarf. She injures the tendons to three fingers. The injury takes place on 15 March 2015. Kammarkollegiet provides compensation for pain and suffering during the acute sick period of three months, in the amount of SEK 7200. Compensation is also paid for medical care and medications. In March 2014, compensation is paid for persistent discomfort, judged to be a 4 percent medical disability, in the amount of SEK 47,000.


In the event of death, funeral assistance compensation is paid by Pensionsmyndigheten, the Swedish Pensions Agency. Kammarkollegiet may consider additional compensation for funeral expenses. Remember also to apply for compensation from Statens tjänstepensionsverk (SPV), the National Government Employee Pensions Board.

When should you turn to other authorities?

  • Accidents that involve motor vehicles are covered by the Swedish act on traffic damages. The injured party must contact the vehicle's insurance company and claim compensation.
  • Treatment expenses for dental injuries that occur at work may be compensated by Försäkringskassan under the Social Insurance Code. Kammarkollegiet may provide compensation for the loss of a tooth.

When does the insurance not apply?

The insurance does not cover property damage that is not related to personal injury, e.g. destroyed spectacles. The insurance does not cover damage or injury during leisure time.

Notification of claim

A form is available on Kammarkollegiet´s website (link).

  • Form to be completed by the injured party. Do not forget the signature.
  • Arbetsförmedlingen and the place of internship or training must also sign the form.
  • Send the form to Kammarkollegiet (link to address).
  • Occupational injuries must always be reported to Försäkringskassan.
Page last updated: 2019-03-05