FAQ about reimbursement under the Travel Guarantee Act

Here you will find answers to questions about the application for reimbursement from the travel guarantee.

When should I contact the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet) and when should I contact the Swedish Consumer Agency (Konsumentverket)?

We are responsible for two different acts. The Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency is responsible for the Swedish Travel Guarantee Act and the Swedish Consumer Agency for the Swedish Package Travel Act.

You are welcome to contact us at the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency if your trip is cancelled or interrupted because the travel operator has become insolvent or been declared bankrupt.

If you have questions about a trip which is cancelled because of the corona pandemic or government desicions and recommendations, you should contact the Swedish Consumer Agency.

I want to apply for reimbursement. Where do I find the application form?

You can find the application form and information about what rules apply when your trip has been cancelled at our webpage Apply for compensation under the Travel Guarantee Act.

What documents should I submit?

Submit a completed and signed application form (if you do not submit your application digitally), booking confirmation and bank statement, which shows that you have paid for the trip. If it is not you who has paid for the trip or if it is not clear from the account statement, all fellow travellers who are 18 years of age and older must sign the application. Submit documentation showing how the trip was cancelled.

Do I need to submit original documents?

No, it is fine to send in copies.

What should I write in the field "State the date when you had to travel home”?

This field should only be filled in if you ended your trip earlier than it was planned.

When do I have to submit an application?

Apply as quickly as possible, but no later than within three months of it having become clear that your trip will not be taking place.

How many applications should I submit? I have bought several trips.

Submit one application per trip. The person who has paid for the trip must sign the application. It is important that it is clear from the documents, bank statement, who has paid for the trip.

How do we apply if there are several of us who have paid for the trip?

Everyone applies for himself. If you want to send a joint application for the same trip, all travellers over the age of 18 must sign the application.

I have paid for the trip. Is it enough for me to sign the application?

Yes, but it is important that it appears from the documents, e.g. bank statement, that you have paid for the trip.

Where should I send my application?

The form, booking confirmation and account statement are sent to:

Box 2218
103 15 Stockholm

alternatively, registratur@kammarkollegiet.se

I have paid in a currency other than SEK. How should I convert the amount to SEK?

On the Swedish Customs Administration's website there is information on how to convert the amount to SEK External link, opens in new window.

The date you will select when converting is the date of payment for the trip. If several payments have been made on different dates, the amounts must be added. Remember to attach all bank statements if multiple payments have been made.

If you are converting your amount from Euro, select "Euro according to Article 53.1b of the Customs Code 952/2013)"

Can I get compensation for other costs for example long-term parking at the airport and petrol costs?

No. The travel guarantee only covers the cost of the package trip itself, if it is canceled due to bankruptcy or insolvency of the travel company.

What is the status of my case?

We process applications in turn. We work as quickly as we can to process all cases that come in.

A case officer will get in touch if supplementary information is needed. When we have handled your case, we will send a decision by post to the address you provided in the application.

What are the rules when the traveller has cancelled his/her own trip?

You cannot get reimbursement under the travel guarantee if you cancel your trip yourself.

In the event of cancellation, the provisions of the Package Travel Act on refunds apply. The Swedish Consumer Agency is responsible for this Act, and you can find information about your rights on their website, opens in a new window External link, opens in new window.

Is the travel guarantee valid if I have a gift voucher for the travel company?

No, the travel guarantee does not apply to gift vouchers. Think twice before you accept a gift voucher, as it could be worthless if the travel operator were to be declared bankrupt.

You can find more information about what the rules are for gift vouchers at the “Hallå konsument” service, opens in a new window External link, opens in new window.

How much can I get back if my package travel is cancelled because of the travel company’s insolvency/bankruptcy?

The travel guarantee should cover all payments you have made for the package travel.

This does, however, presuppose that the travel company has arranged an adequate travel guarantee.

In cases where the travel company’s travel guarantee does not cover the total amount being claimed by all travellers, we make a percentage allocation between travellers entitled to reimbursement. This means that we distribute the amount that the company has lodged as a guarantee proportionately between all applications.

Is it guaranteed that I will receive reimbursement?

It is not possible to answer this question until the case has been investigated. Each application is examined individually based on the requirements of the Travel Guarantee Act.

I have received reimbursement from the bank/credit card company. What do I do with my application at the Kammarkollegiet?

Notify us immediately if you have already received or will receive reimbursement from another source. You must then withdraw your application at Kammarkollegiet, otherwise you may be liable to repay what you received too much in reimbursement. Notify Kammarkollegiet via e-mail registratur@kammarkollegiet.se that you have received compensation in another way and that you want to withdraw your application.

Your Europe Logotype
Help us improve
Page last updated: 2024-03-26