Apply for Authorisation as an Interpreter based on professional qualifications from outside Sweden

Are you an authorised interpreter in another EEA state or in Switzerland? If so, then you can also apply for authorisation in Sweden. The authorisation will be for the combination of Swedish and one other language.

Our assessment of interpreters with qualifications from outside Sweden

Once we have received your application, we will assess whether your professional qualifications are equivalent to our proficiency requirements for authorisation. We do this by comparing your documented proficiency with the content of the authorisation test for interpreters.

If your education or professional qualifications differ from our proficiency requirements for authorisation, we can decide on a compensatory measure. You can then choose between an aptitude test or an adaptation period.

An aptitude test means that we test you in those areas in which you are deficient in order to satisfy the proficiency requirements for authorisation. For example, this might involve you being required to show that you have proficiency with respect to terminology and factual knowledge of Swedish institutions in social issues, care and nursing, the jobs market and training, law, migration, interpreting ethics and interpreting technique.

An adaptation period means that you work for a period of up to three years under the responsibility of an authorised professional. This involves the supervisor reporting on the work done to us.

Once the aptitude test or adaptation period has been completed, we at Kammarkollegiet will make a decision on authorisation.

Rules for the recognition of professional qualifications are stated in the regulations for interpreters (in Swedish)

About interpreting as a regulated profession

Your Europe Logotype
Help us improve
Hjälpte informationen på denna sida dig?
Page last updated: 2024-01-29